St Andrews Restoration
Support our heritage on a great day out.
Wednesday 16th, Thursday 17th or Friday 18th February 2022
McLaren Vale pick-up Thursday 17th February only
Come on a day of new discoveries and heritage exploration!
In the beautiful town of Strathalbyn, few buildings are as photographed or as well known as St Andrews Church. This magnificent old stone building is on the National Trust heritage list, and for good reason. The first European settlers in Strathalbyn were mainly staunch Scottish Presbyterians, and St Andrews was
built to replace their first small church. The first section was built in 1848 and was added to as needed through to 1869. It features an amazing bell from Sheffield weighing a tonne, and clock faces from England.
The church was built well, but time and weather have had their impact. Total cost to restore the church is a massive $1.8 million. We are visiting the church today for a guided tour and morning tea, with funds from our visit going towards the restoration. It’s a wonderful opportunity to have a good look at the building, understand its history, and to contribute to its restoration.
After our visit we continue through the hills to Meadows where we enjoy a delicious two course lunch. In the afternoon we are looking forward to taking you down some back roads that you may not have travelled before!
We expect to start set-downs in Encounter Bay at approximately 4.30pm, finishing in Goolwa around 5:15pm.
Pick-up locations and times for February:
- 8:00am – McLaren Vale Lodge, McLaren Vale (Thursday 17 February only)
- 8:45am – Bus stop 4, Rosetta Village, Maude Street Encounter Bay
- 8:50am – Bus stop 1, Stuart Street, Victor Harbor
- 8:55am – Bus stop 7, Hayborough
- 9:00am – Elliot Gardens, Montpelier Terrace Port Elliot
- 9:10am – Bus stop 12, Middleton
- 9:20am – Seachange Village, Gardiner Street Goolwa
- 9:22am – Goolwa Caltex, Cadell Street Goolwa
- 9:25am – Goolwa Stratco, Hutchinson Street, Goolwa
- 9:30am – Thornbury Park, Willmett Road Goolwa Beach
Important: please give us a call the day before the trip to confirm. The new health requirements mean we have some questions to ask, including getting your choice for lunch.